It’s easy to get discouraged if you haven’t been able to meet anyone new lately, but don’t fret—the right situation should present itself soon. Just know that you may have to be courageous enough to help things along.
Let’s go over a scenario you might find yourself in. You’re a single guy who is actively seeking a significant other. You’ve tried online dating and it just doesn’t seem to be for you. The bar scene is filled with people who really aren’t your type (or you just don’t like the idea of meeting someone at a bar).
Anyway, here you are on a Saturday afternoon at the local Laundromat. You usually do your laundry here on the same day each week, and you’ve been noticing a girl that has been there the same time as you on a number of other occasions. She catches your eye for some reason—maybe you find her attractive, maybe you like her style of dress, her smile, or her demeanor. Perhaps you just have a gut feeling that there could be some sort of connection with her.
It’s possible the first few times you spotted her you thought about saying something, but couldn’t quite muster up the courage. Or maybe you just felt like you would be a bother or a nag, or you were afraid you would come off the wrong way. Or it’s very likely that you just didn’t know what to say.
This type of thing happens all the time when it comes to men approaching women. While some men are overly confident and tend to approach every woman in their sites (sometimes this is actually more for show than real confidence), the majority do tend to be a little bit shy or apprehensive when it comes to striking up a conversation with a woman they have never met before.
Here are some dating tips for guys on how to approach a woman for the first time:
- Be confident but not cocky. Being a little bit nervous is okay sometimes, but don’t be so anxious that you can’t get the words out.
- Tell yourself that you’re going to talk to the girl and just go do it. Don’t spend too much time thinking about it. The longer you wait, the more anxious you’ll get. Try to talk to her close to the first moment you notice her.
- Be yourself. Don’t use cheesy pickup lines. Try to come up with something you think you have in common. For example, if you’ve seen her at the laundromat the last few weeks, maybe you start out by saying you wish you had a washer and dryer at home so you don’t have to use so many quarters.
- Don’t hover. If you try to make conversation and her responses are short (or she doesn’t respond at all) don’t stand around and make things uncomfortable for both of you.
- Keep the conversation going as long as possible. If you do hit it off, take advantage. Keep talking. Find out what she likes and doesn’t like. Get to know more about her.
- Have a plan of action. Are you going to ask for her phone number? Do you want to ask her to grab a cup of coffee once your laundry is done? Have something in mind for if this encounter works out.
- Most importantly, be yourself. Don’t put on an act to be the guy you think she wants you to be. Instead, be the best version of yourself. Let her see the real you, because at the end of the day, that’s who you want her to like.
As always I’m available to help you find your true love and build a relationship that lasts. I give dating tips for guys and girls! Here is my personal online scheduler to get your 30 minute free strategy session. Let’s get started today!